Torriano schools consultation
A consultation on proposals to create a single, enlarged Torriano Primary School is under way.
This would mean the closure of Torriano Infant School, in Kentish Town, while neighbouring Torriano Junior School would be turned into an enlarged all-through primary school.
The benefits of the proposal include:
- greater continuity for pupils aged three to 11, with no need to move to a new school
- closer contact with parents / carers for the full span of children’s primary education
- potential for stronger leadership and governance and improved ability to recruit and retain leaders and staff
- better planning across all key stages and greater sharing of best practice, curriculum and other resources, avoiding duplication.
A decision was taken by the governing bodies of the two schools that a merger would secure continuity of education and raise standards for the pupils at the new primary school.
The aim is to close Torriano Infant School and enlarge Torriano Junior School by expanding the age range, with a total admission number of 420 pupils. The resulting primary school will stay on the current site of the two schools, with a headteacher and a single governing body made up of members from both current infant and junior governing bodies.
Although the proposal is put forward by the governing bodies, by law Camden Council must lead this consultation. With the strong backing of the governing bodies of both schools, the Council is therefore proposing:
- the closure of Torriano Infant school on 31 August 2015
- the extension of the age range of Torriano Junior School from three to 11 years of age from September 2015.
Find out more and have your say
The consultation document on our website addresses both these linked proposals. We are keen to hear your views - please respond before 5pm on 26 June 2015.
- complete and return the consultation response form
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- write to Mark Langridge-Kemp, Property, Strategy and Investment Manager, Children, Schools and Families, Camden Town Hall, Judd Street, London WC1H 9JE.