The latest news and updates from the Chalcots Estate – w/c 9 October 2017
Residents have requested a regular newsletter about works and support available to Chalcots residents. We will be sending you this newsletter regularly, as well as letters detailing important information. Your safety is our top priority and we would like to thank you for your patience throughout the period of works.
Cladding removal and replacement
- Cladding replacement drop-in event, Tuesday 31 October, 10am to 8pm, Swiss Cottage Library.
We want to engage with Chalcots residents in the key decisions about the future of their housing. You are invited to a drop-in event which will showcase a variety of cladding replacement options, along with sample materials and detailed plans. Technical staff will be available to help explain the different characteristics of each cladding option and you will be able to tell us what you think about the options on display. We’ll also be sharing ideas and advice on fire safety. Children’s activities, tea and coffee will be available. We look forward to seeing you there.
- We are pleased to report that cladding removal is well underway on the lower levels of Bray, Burnham and Blashford. At Dorney we are progressing with preliminary works and at Taplow the mast climbers are being put into place ready to start removing the cladding.
- The TRAs asked us to provide more clarity around asbestos checks in this week’s newsletter. As landlord, we are legally required to check for asbestos in our buildings when we carry out intrusive work. Asbestos is not dangerous if it remains undisturbed. We continue to make checks for asbestos so that we can be certain it is not there whilst we undertake works. So far, we have not found asbestos in any block. In the unlikely event we find asbestos, we will immediately organise its safe removal. If you would like feedback on any check carried out for your property send us your address and contact number via email@example.com or call 020 7974 4444 (option 7) and a member of our technical team will get back to you.
- A number of residents have asked about the installation of fire doors for all rooms in their homes. Current fire safety guidance set out by national government does not recommend this action, nor do we believe it is necessary. However, we will keep this under review and consider it as part of our new safety standard for Camden homes.
- Residents told us that one of our contractors had left waste material in a communal area. Thank you for notifying us of this, we have discussed this with the relevant contractors who assure us it will not happen again. Please can you also help maintain a high standard of safety by ensuring things are not left in your communal areas, if have any concerns please talk to your caretaker or alert the fire marshals by calling 07903 232592.
- The London Fire Brigade offer free home fire safety visits for residents looking to minimise fire risks in their homes. The visits can take place at any time on any day of the week and include bespoke advice based on your household and your lifestyle. To book your visit go to www.london-fire.gov.uk/homefiresafetyvisit.asp or call 0800 028 44 28.
- Two separate contractors provide fire wardens on the Chalcots. Croma Vigilance in Taplow, Blashford and Bray, and Insight Risk Management in Dorney, and Burnham. If you need to contact either of these contractors please call Bray Operations Room on 07903 232592.
- Now we have started to remove the cladding and are progressing with internal works, we are able to focus on the independent review. We committed to looking into the circumstances that led to and followed the evacuation of the Chalcots Estate. We are doing this so that we can learn lessons for the future. The Council leader is writing to you to outline what could be key areas for the review and asking you to tell us what you think about these.
- We would like to thank all residents who moved their vehicles from the underground carparks. The underground carparks are now closed to all vehicles and residents’ entry fobs have been temporarily deactivated. Anyone who would like to remove their vehicles from the carparks should call 020 7974 8521 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss their options.
- There will be a safe walkway for residents from Dorney and Burnham to access bike storage. Residents from Taplow will be able to use secure storage in bays 7, 8 and 9 beneath their block. The TRA for your block manages the keys and can organise access for you. Bray and Blashford will have access as normal.
- We remind residents that the deadline for new reimbursement claims is Sunday 15 October. Please submit any new claims along with receipts to email@example.com.