Support our local shops safely this festive season
Camden Council is urging residents to stay safe over the festive season, and take extra precautions if shopping.
London is now in Tier 3, a ‘very high’ level of alert because cases of COVID are rising rapidly across the city. This means everyone is at-risk of catching it. To keep loved ones and ourselves safe, we must be extra careful to follow public health advice and in-store safety measures when we are shopping which will save lives and livelihoods.
To support local high street businesses and help people shop safely, the Council has teamed up with MyVirtualNeighbourhood to launch ‘My Virtual Camden’.
Follow the link and click on your neighbourhood to see a directory of local and independent businesses, and find a way to support your local high street either in person or by filtering to those who offer home delivery. We are also encouraging local high street businesses to sign up- it is free and only takes a few minutes.
If you choose to shop in-store, please remember that local businesses have worked hard to put extra measures in place to keep us safe. Please be extra careful to follow all safety measures and public health advice if you are out shopping in the run up to Christmas.
- Stay 2 metres apart from anyone you don’t live with
- Wear a face covering in indoor public spaces, unless exempt
- Regularly wash your hands and use hand sanitiser
- Follow in-store safety measures
- Avoid public transport and shop local
“The last few months have been tough for many businesses, but have also shown how important our high streets are, providing shops, services and outdoor spaces within walking distance of our homes.
“With cases of COVID rising, and London now in Tier 3 we must be extra careful to follow safety measures and public health advice if we’re shopping in the run up to Christmas.
“My Virtual Camden allows you to easily find the best local shops and services available in your area, many of which have a delivery option to save you a trip to the high street.
“You can find independent businesses across Camden, whether it’s shopping for groceries, homeware, gifts and more.
“The businesses featured are all open and many offer online shopping too, so you can visit in person, have takeaway, click-and-collect or have your shopping delivered.”
‘Christmas Bubble’ guidance
- Between 23 and 27 December inclusively, the Government has said you can form a ‘Christmas bubble’ made up of a maximum of three households. You can only be in one Christmas bubble, and once you have chosen your bubble, you cannot change who you are in a bubble with.
- We know that it has been a really difficult year so it might be tempting to take full advantage of the opportunity to see more of your family and friends. Please remember though that the more people you spend time with, and the more time you spend together, the higher your chance of catching the virus and passing it on.
- Please think very carefully about who you’ll form a Christmas bubble with and how you’ll spend time over that five-day period.
- If you or someone in your Christmas bubble is clinically extremely vulnerable, please consider keeping the number of people in your three-household bubble as small as you can. Do not meet with anyone outside your bubble and follow the latest guidance at: gov.uk/coronavirus