Protect yourself from seasonal scams
Scammers don’t take time off during the holiday season - they see it as an opportunity to con you out of your money.
You can be scammed by post, phone, text message or on your doorstep. Here are some tips to protect yourself:
- Stop, chain and check. Don't open the door to anyone before you've checked who it is. If you're not expecting someone and you don't know them, don't let them into your home, no matter what they say. Phone or doorstep scammers may pretend to be police, bank or other officials (e.g. a person from a utility company)
- Keep personal details safe. Never give out your bank account details to someone you don’t know. Never email your financial information, even if you know the person you are emailing
- Do not give money to claim a prize. No legitimate company will ask for this
- Don’t feel pressurised. Say no or you need to take advice.
Find out more:
- For more advice call 03454 04 05 06 or visit the Citizens Advice website
- Report scams to Action Fraud: 0300 123 2040
- In an emergency: call 999.