New Cabinet appointment confirmed
Camden’s new Cabinet Member has been introduced at the council’s virtual Annual General Meeting (AGM) held on Monday 7 September.
Leader of Camden Council, Councillor Georgia Gould, confirmed Councillor Anna Wright as the Cabinet Member for Promoting Neighbourhoods and Communities.
“I am proud to announce the Cabinet for Camden Council for this year and to welcome Councillor Anna Wright as Cabinet Member for Promoting Neighbourhoods and Communities.
“I would like to thank Councillor Jonathan Simpson for his vision, leadership and creativity around the arts and culture agenda and I am so pleased he will continue to Chair the Camden Cultural Partnership.
“As a Cabinet we are committed to doing all we can to keep communities safe and open, to tackling inequality, injustice and disproportionality, to supporting our citizens, businesses and communities to recover.
“I am proud to lead a Cabinet of Councillors dedicated to public service and doing all they can to make Camden the best place to live, learn, grow up, age and do business. I look forward to working with them and with our communities over the rest of this year.”
Councillor Wright takes the cabinet place vacated by Councillor Jonathan Simpson, who has stepped down from the Cabinet after many years of service.
In her role Councillor Wright will lead on volunteering and neighbourhood empowerment, supporting the participation of all citizens in community life and decision-making and promoting health and wellbeing through the Council’s sports and leisure services.
Councillor Wright will be working closely with Councillor Danny Beales as Cabinet Member for Investing in Communities, Culture and an Inclusive Economy to widen access to and active participation in Camden’s arts and culture including through our libraries services.
Councillor Wright will have special responsibility for civic society and participation including our work with the voluntary and community sector (VCS). Councillor Wright will also work closely with Councillor Angela Mason around cross-cutting early years and family friendly policies.
Councillor Danny Beales, as well as his previous responsibilities, will now also lead on supporting and promoting Camden’s arts, culture and heritage including our community and major institutions, and ensuring equal access and equal opportunity to arts and culture. This has been reflected in his title, which is now Cabinet Member for Investing in Communities, Culture and an Inclusive Economy.
The Cabinet members are as follows:
- Councillor Georgia Gould, Leader of Camden Council
- Councillor Danny Beales, Cabinet Member for Investing in Communities, Culture and an Inclusive Economy
- Councillor Angela Mason, Cabinet Member for Cabinet Member for Best Start for Children and Families
- Councillor Meric Apak, Cabinet Member for Better Homes
- Councillor Pat Callaghan, Deputy Leader and Cabinet Member for a Healthy and Caring Camden
- Councillor Adam Harrison, Cabinet Member for a Sustainable Camden
- Councillor Nadia Shah, Cabinet Member for Safer Communities
- Councillor Anna Wright, Cabinet Member for Promoting Neighbourhoods and Communities
- Councillor Richard Olszewski, Cabinet Member for Finance and Transformation
- Councillor Abdul Hai, Cabinet Member for Young People, Equalities and Cohesion
The new Cabinet will hold its first meeting on Wednesday 16 September.