Kentish Town Library improvements – temporary closure
In January 2020, Kentish Town Library will undergo an exciting transformation to improve the space for everyone to enjoy.
The transformation is part of our work to future-proof Camden’s libraries and make sure they thrive in the future.
Over the past few months, we’ve been speaking to residents in Kentish Town to see how the library can better meet their needs. In response to these discussions we’re going to make some improvements to the space as well as installing new digital equipment.
To make these changes, the library will close for two weeks from Monday 20 January to Sunday 2 February, reopening on Monday 3 February.
Changes to the library will include:
- The creation of more usable space, including a mezzanine area, which can be used for classes, clubs and social events
- Quiet study space available in the main library
- More functional front of the library to bring the community together, running clubs and activities and providing a social space to bring people together.
- Partitioning of the children’s library to enable the space to be used by under 5s and older children.
- A new digital library offering more, better and faster computers and new digital tech including virtual reality headsets, tablets and macs. We’ll also offer a range of digital classes and support to cover a range of needs – from gadget drop-ins to coding clubs.
- Faster Wi-Fi and printing for people bringing their own devices.
The new library will offer a range of existing activities including our popular rhyme time sessions, book clubs, creative writing and knitting clubs. We’ll also test some of your ideas for new activities to get the community together including storytelling.
We’re committed to keeping libraries open and making sure they thrive in the future. The improvements to Kentish Town Library are the first stage in our £1.5 million investment in our libraries across Camden. We’re making changes based on feedback, including more space to study and bring people together, and access to the latest technology, so that no one gets left behind. We’ll be working in other libraries over the next year to invest in them as digital and community spaces.
If you need to access a library during this time, the closest are Queens Crescent Library and Camden Town Library. Whilst Kentish Town Library is closed, there will be an extended loan period, with first items due back from Monday 3 February. You can also return items to any other Camden library.
Our online services will also still be available: