Friday 9 August 2019 – The latest news and updates from the Chalcots Estate
Since spring this year, a lot of preparatory work has taken place to make sure we get to the right final designs and detailed programmes for the window replacement, curtain wall repair and cladding system installation.
- For Taplow, Burnham, Bray and Dorney blocks that have similar building structures, we have:
- Completed curtain wall tests
- Completed risk assessments to inform the preferred window design
- Carried out intrusive testing to inform the way we will replace the windows
- Identified a window supplier
- Obtained a window sample
- Designed the cladding system
- Successfully tested the cladding system
- Secured the cladding supply chain
- Drafted site set up plans subject to permissions
- Planned routes for scaffolding and material delivery
- Finalised the scaffolding design and arrangements
- Sought your views on design aspects and standards where we could without compromising regulatory requirements and risk assessments
- All of these are important tasks in preparing for the next phase of works. We take the same approach for Blashford, but as the structure of the building is different to the other four blocks, we are completing these tasks four to six weeks later.
- Further tests, assessments and validations are being awaited and meanwhile, we continue to progress the repair and replace works for all five blocks and have significantly reduced the number of outstanding works. We are taking steps to carry out quality checks on these works.
- Overall, the final design and final programme specification is on schedule to be completed by the end of September for planning submission in October.
- We will be able to share with you in September the timelines for scaffolding, roof replacement, brick works, window replacement, curtain walling and recladding, including on how we move works across the estate.
- We will be able to share with you in October how we intend to carry out the works within each flat.
We want to speak to all residents
- Before the major works to replace the windows, curtain wall and cladding begin, we want to hear your views and feedback on the works that were done so far and on our approach to the preferred window design.
- We have commissioned Acuity, experts in housing research, to contact every household and talk through a short survey. It is important to us that this is done independently so residents feel they can speak freely and openly and give honest feedback.
- The survey will start towards the end of next week and run through September. Researchers will start with Bray, Burnham, Dorney and Taplow residents through August and early September before speaking to Blashford residents. There will be a final report which we will share with all residents in September.
- The feedback we get from the ‘getting to know you in your home’ appointments, combined with the survey will help us to finalise the plans of works in your home and how we do this best to minimise disruption to you.
Code of conduct for Wates operatives
- We would like your feedback on the first draft of the Wates ‘resident promise’. The resident promise sets out the conduct and behaviour that all residents will be able to expect from Wates staff, to build trust and ensure that work happens as smoothly as possible.
- Read the draft Wates promise.
- All of your feedback is important so please share your comments and anything else that you would like added to the resident promise.
- This has already been put to your TRA reps in our last Chalcots Works Group meeting and they have suggested additions such as, keeping the lifts free during the school run, use one lift at a time and no music. You can see more of their suggestions here.
- If you would like to share your feedback and suggestions, please contact Donna Peters at email@example.com or on 020 7974 3889.
New quality inspectors
- Earlier this year we told you that we were recruiting more people to ensure we have a strong team to support the work to replace the cladding, curtain walls and windows. This includes five quality inspectors – one for each block.
- We are pleased to let you know that two quality inspectors have been recruited and are likely to start later in August. We hope to have all positions filled by September.
- The inspectors will pick up and see repairs issues through to completion and look at anything outstanding from the previous works phase and will work closely with residents. Once the new phase of works start, they will oversee everything to make sure the works are carried out to the quality expected.
Further tests and scaffolding at Blashford
- To prepare for the coming works in Blashford, Wates have been carrying out further tests in empty flats.
- Scaffolding will go up at Blashford on Wednesday 14 August behind the corner of the TRA room where Adelaide Road meets Primrose Hill, so that contractors can remove a window in flat 36 on the 9th floor.
- We expect the scaffolding to be up for four weeks while the work is completed.
- The start date of this work is subject to permissions and we will confirm with Blashford residents closer to the time.
- We work towards arranging a Blashford resident event in late September to share with residents the likely designs and work approach.
Cladding system fire test
- As part of the work to replace the cladding on the Chalcots Estate, we told you we would be using an A1 fire rated cladding system to ensure the highest standard of safety.
- In July, we carried out fire safety tests (to British Standard 8414), on the new cladding system including the solid anodised aluminium panels and the Rockwool insulation, along with all the fixings that attach it to the outside of the building.
- We are pleased to say the cladding system not only passed the tests but exceeded the necessary fire safety requirements, delivering a very high standard of fire safety.
- We will share more detail on the British Standards certification with residents when they become available.
The Chalcots Works Group is held at the estate with TRA reps, councillors and council officers in attendance and is chaired by a TRA rep. They meet regularly to discuss works matters on the estate. This newsletter includes feedback from the Chalcots Works Group on Wednesday 31 July. You can read notes from the Chalcots Works group meeting at camden.gov.uk/chalcotsestate
You can request a copy of this newsletter in large print, audio format or in another language by calling 020 7974 5717.
If you have questions about this newsletter please contact firstname.lastname@example.org