Friday 7 December 2018 – The latest news and updates from the Chalcots Estate
An update to the RLOs at Chalcots Estate
- Our contract with Kier and Mulalley ended on 30 November and both contractors are no longer on site at the Chalcots Estate, and this means that there will be new RLOs for your blocks:
- Blashford and Burnham residents should still contact Tina Connolly from Wates on 07715 617 337 or email email@example.com
- The new RLO for Bray and Dorney is Tracy Sainsbury.
- The new RLO for Taplow is Dean Campbell.
- We will confirm Tracy and Dean’s contact details in our next newsletter.
- If you have any questions about your new RLOs or the contractors leaving site, contact Camden officers Donna Peters on 020 7974 3889 or firstname.lastname@example.org or Mike Bennett on 07813 143 023 or email@example.com
Tender assessment update
- The deadline for the tender submission bids was 7 November for the Chalcots works, which includes replacing the cladding, windows and curtain wall on all five blocks.
- Camden have since then had a number of queries regarding the documents received which they have been working through as part of the assessment process, which is taking additional time to complete.
- In a recent newsletter, we told you that as part of the tender assessment a TRA representative from each block will be assessing a presentation by contractors in early November, however, because we have been working through queries, the presentation has been rescheduled to take place in mid-December.
- The contractor will be appointed once all the assessments have taken place, which includes the resident presentation. We still expect to be able to confirm the contractor by January 2019.
- The nominated TRA reps attending the presentation will ask the contractors’ questions about how they plan to work with and engage residents, the approach they will take to carrying out the works, and how they will manage quality control of the works.
- We remind residents that a tender is a controlled and complex legal process with rules that need to be carefully followed. Everyone involved, whether they are residents or council staff, has to sign a confidentiality agreement and won’t be able to share the information provided by the contractors or the conversations taking place around it.
- Please respect that your TRA rep will be legally bound by this confidentiality agreement and will not be able to share any information provided at the resident presentation.
Replacement windows decision
- In October, we told you that we would let you know when a decision would be made on your replacement windows and the opening mechanism.
- We are now finalising the risk assessment and the decision will be made late December early January once we can confirm with the appointed contractors.
- We will be sending a letter to residents in January to confirm the contractor who will be carrying out the works for the replacement cladding, curtain wall and windows.
- The letter will also include information on the chosen window and opening mechanism.
- In a recent Chalcots Works Group meeting, it was raised that there have been issues with how repairs are reported and resolved at the Chalcots Estate.
- The Chalcots Works Group have been working with Camden officers and the repairs service to come to a solution. There will now be a dedicated team for Chalcots residents, which will include technicians and Contact Camden phone operatives to help streamline how reports are received and resolved.
- For heating, hot water or boiler repairs and all other repairs to flats and communal areas, please call the repairs team on 020 7974 4444 option 7, followed by option 1 for Chalcots. The line is open Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm. Our emergency call out service is available 24 hours a day on the same number.
- This new arrangement will be kept under review as the service develops and we will continue to seek feedback on our performance from the TRA works group.
- Alternatively, you can report a repair online via the Camden Account. If you don’t have a Camden Account, register online at camden.gov.uk/camdenaccount
Cladding engagement event
- Next week we will be holding an engagement event so you can find out more about the proposed change to your replacement cladding.
- The event will be held on Tuesday 11 December in the main atrium at Swiss Cottage Library but if you’re not able to attend the event you will still be able to find out about the change to your cladding as the information will be displayed at the library until 5pm on Monday 17 December.
Works over Christmas
- Works on the estate will temporarily stop on Friday 21 December until Monday 7 January, where contractors will return to continue the essential fire stopping and asbestos survey works.
- During these dates there will be a limited number of staff from Wates who will remain on site to carry out mandatory, weekly scaffold inspections. They will also be available to attend to any issues relating to working areas around the scaffolding and contractors’ storage.
- We will provide an out of hours number for issues relating to scaffolding in our next newsletter.
Have your say in our caretaking review
- Camden’s estates including the Chalcots are looked after by council staff and contractors. Our caretakers look after the communal areas inside your buildings, estate sweepers provided by our contractor Veolia clean the outside areas on the estate, and gardening maintenance is provided by contractor Idverde.
- We want to find out how we can improve your caretaking service and make sure that you are happy with how we look after where you live.
- To help us get it right, take part in our review. Until midnight on Sunday 13 January you can tell us what you think about how we deliver our services now, and how we can do better in future at camden.gov.uk/caretakingreview – and you can have your say in less than 10 minutes.
- Pop down to Swiss Cottage Open Space and Library to enjoy the Swiss Cottage Winter Festival. The festive event will be held on Sunday 9 December from 12pm to 7pm, where there will be children’s activities, storytelling, henna painting and stalls of mulled wine, food, arts and crafts and much more. The Christmas tree lights will be switched on at 5pm accompanied by festive carols.
- TRA reps are also holding a festive party for residents on Saturday 15 December from 2pm to 5pm. It starts at 12pm with Santa and his helpers abseiling down Burnham Tower with presents for the children. Afterwards you can enjoy music, food and entertainment at Swiss Cottage Library until 5pm. There will also be a raffle, so please keep the ticket you received with your invitation.
The Chalcots Works Group is held at the estate with TRA reps, councillors and council officers in attendance and is chaired by a TRA rep. They meet regularly to discuss works matters on the estate. This newsletter includes feedback from the Chalcots Works Group on Wednesday 21 November. The next meeting will be held on Wednesday 12 December.
You can request a copy of this newsletter in large print, audio format or in another language by calling 020 7974 5717.
If you have questions about this newsletter please contact firstname.lastname@example.org