Friday 31 August 2018 - The latest news and updates from the Chalcots Estate
Works tender process and updated timeline
- Contractors who are submitting bids for the replacement cladding and curtain wall works on the estate have asked for more clarity on certain elements of the works and more time to get the detail in their proposals right. This means that the tender deadline has been extended to the third week in October. This is not what we planned as it will push back our programme timelines, but it is important that we get this right to make sure that we secure the best quality contractor and materials.
- The tender assessment will now take place in November. A contractor will be appointed in December or January and the design will be finalised with initial preparations taking place on site in spring. The full timelines will be confirmed once the contractor is appointed in the new year, and we will update you as soon as we have this information.
Mast climbers removal
- As the cladding removal and weather proofing is now complete we are planning to dismantle and remove the mast climbers until the next period of works begins. This will mean a reduction in noise from the mast climber motion warning system and alarms, as well as the inconvenience of workers outside your home, which we appreciate has been difficult for residents. We will let you know the timescales once confirmed.
- Members of the Chalcots Work Group requested an update on the replacement windows for the estate. We are working with technical experts to get more information on the restrictors and other details around ventilation and safety. In September, the Executive Director of Supporting Communities in consultation with the Cabinet Member for Better Homes will consider a report presented by officers on the options, resident feedback and expert advice, to make a decision on which window option will be replacing the current windows. We will update you once a decision has been made.
- The window options are option 1, which is the same as your current windows, and option 3, which is a tilt and turn inwards opening window.
- We continue to carry out asbestos surveys and compartmentation works across the estate. These surveys and follow up works need to be completed before the next phase of works begin. Thank you to everyone who has worked with the RLOs to give us access to your homes.
- We still need access to some flats. If you have not yet had an asbestos survey, please work with us to prevent any further delays to the programme of works, and contact your RLO to book an appointment as soon as possible. Once you’ve had your survey please also give access to contractors to carry out the follow up works.
- Blashford and Burnham residents can contact Tina Connolly from Wates on 07715 617 337 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Taplow residents can contact Nadeem Ahmed from Kier on 07972 005 173 or email email@example.com
- Bray residents can contact Chloe Conway from Kier on 07850 956 653 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Although Mulalley are no longer onsite, Dorney residents can still contact Sue Speller on 07939 158 509 or email email@example.com
Family Fun Day
- It’s 100 years since women got the vote and we are celebrating in style at our Camden Family Fun Days. Squeeze the last drops out of summer and join us at our final fun day in Talacre Park (Talacre Road, NW5 3PH) next Saturday 8 September. From 1pm to 5pm we have activities for the whole family, including trampolining, rosette making, face painting, balloon modellers, dance performances, sports, music and much much more. Free refreshments provided.
The Chalcots Works Group is held at the estate with TRA reps, councillors and council officers in attendance and is chaired by a TRA rep. They meet regularly to discuss works matters on the estate. This newsletter includes feedback from the Chalcots Works Group meeting on Wednesday 22 August 2018, present at the meeting were representatives from Blashford, Taplow, Burnham, Bray and Dorney. The next meeting will be held on Wednesday 5 September.