Friday 28 September 2018 - The latest news and updates from the Chalcots Estate
- At the January 2018 meeting of the council’s cabinet, we committed to using solid aluminium panels that would form part of an “A1” or “A2” fire rated system.
- A1 is the highest safety rating and means that all components are non-combustible. As safety is our first priority the council has committed to an A1 rated cladding system. We are therefore looking to use an A1 anodised solid aluminium panel and have been working with suppliers to find a product that is similar in terms of colour to your original cladding. We have shared our findings with the Chalcots Works Group.
- As the proposed cladding will have a slightly different look to your previous cladding we will need to do a statutory planning amendment. This will include a 21 day consultation in early 2019 and will then will be submitted to Camden’s Planning Committee for approval.
- Before this we will be holding engagement events in the next few months for you to find out more about the materials chosen and see samples of the panels. We will give you more information on the events in future newsletters.
Mast climber removal
- We told you in a recent newsletter that as the cladding removal and weather proofing is now complete we are planning to dismantle and remove the mast climbers. We can confirm that they will be removed block by block.
- The removal of mast climbers from Burnham has started and work on the remaining blocks will happen over the next six to eight weeks.
- We will give you notice when the dates to remove the mast climbers from your block are confirmed.
Your current windows
- We will be adding a safety mechanism to protect your current window hinges in the event of high winds this winter. These are metal cables that will be fitted near the hinges on the outside of your window opening – you will still be able to open your window as normal.
- The metal cables will be fitted externally so we do not need to gain access to you homes. We will let you know the time frame of these works in the next newsletter.
Helping you with this winter’s additional heating consumption
- We committed that Chalcots residents will not pay any more for increased heating usage while the cladding is off the blocks. We can confirm that this winter, again, you will not be charged for increased heating consumption as a result of the cladding works. This will cover the winter months of October 2018 to the end of April 2019.
- If you live in Bray, Burnham, Dorney or Taplow your gas is supplied by the council. You recently received your weekly heat charges for this year. To ensure that you are not being charged more to heat your home as a result of the cladding works, this weekly charge is calculated based on the gas you used in 2016/17, before the cladding was removed.
- As Blashford is not on the council’s gas supply, again, we will make direct payments to Blashford residents of £35 per month during the same winter months, to cover the cost of additional heating use. Please call Contact Camden on 020 7974 4444 to set up your payment. You will need your council tax reference number to confirm your eligibility as a Blashford resident.
- If you do not have gas heating but have increased electricity use as a result of the cladding being removed, this will need to be calculated in arrears. You will need to provide evidence to your housing officer by sending your electricity bills for the period October 2016 to April 2017 (when the cladding was still on the building), along with your electricity bills for the period October 2018 to April 2019 when you receive them.
- If you need help with understanding your bills, visit the floating support drop-in sessions held every Wednesday across the estate.
- You can also contact the floating support officers, Darren Sweeney on 020 7974 4633 or email email@example.com or contact Paul Latham on 020 7974 5982 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
An update to fire stopping safety works
- Last year we began a programme of fire stopping safety works to all flats. Thank you to all residents who have given access for these works.
- After these works, we check all the work has been completed to the highest of safety standards. Through this process, we now know that some flats will need further fire stopping safety works.
- We apologise for any inconvenience caused by additional checks that may happen in your homes. Thank you for your continued patience while works are ongoing. We are committed to providing the highest standard of works to ensure safety on your blocks.
- To help with this process there will be new officers and contractors working at the Taplow and Bray blocks, helping to complete these works. All staff will continue to wear ID and welcome any queries about the works. Alternatively you can contact Mike Bennett on 020 7974 1948 or email@example.com or Donna Peters on 020 7974 3889 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Floating support timetable
|Blashford TRA hall||First Wednesday of the month||10am to 12pm|
|Dorney TRA hall||First Wednesday of the month||1pm to 4.30pm|
|Bray TRA hall||Second Wednesday of the month||1pm to 4.30pm|
|Burnham TRA hall||Third Wednesday of the month||1pm to 4.30pm|
|Taplow TRA hall||Fourth Wednesday of the month||1pm to 4.30pm|
Gas safety works in Camden
- Annual gas safety checks are carried out in all tenanted properties with individual boilers across Camden.
- It is a legal requirement for Camden to undertake these checks and you may already have received a letter from our contractor BTU to organise your appointment. Please provide access when requested for these safety checks to be carried out.
- Once you have received a letter from BTU please call 020 7499 0602 to book your appointment.
Free swimming is still available on the weekend
- It was brought to our attention that some residents were not able to use the free family swim sessions recently.
- We would like to confirm that these sessions are still available at Swiss Cottage Leisure Centre for all Chalcots residents, so please bring the family for a fun day of swimming on Saturdays between 10am and 5pm, and Sundays between 10am and 3pm. Residents will need to bring a proof of address.
The Chalcots Works Group is held at the estate with TRA reps, councillors and council officers in attendance and is chaired by a TRA rep. They meet regularly to discuss works matters on the estate. This newsletter includes feedback from the Chalcots Works Group meeting on Wednesday 12 September, present at the meeting were representatives from Blashford, Taplow, Burnham, Bray and Dorney. The next meeting will be held on Wednesday 3 October.