Friday 11 January 2019 – The latest news and updates from the Chalcots Estate
Happy new year
We would like to wish you all a happy new year. We hope you had a relaxing break.
Replacement works contractor announced
- On Tuesday (8 January), the Leader of Camden Council, Georgia Gould, approved the decision to appoint Wates Living Space (Maintenance) Ltd as the contractor for the works to replace the cladding, curtain wall and windows on the Chalcots Estate.
- Wates have been appointed subject to a contract. Formal contract documents will be agreed and signed in February 2019.
- The report was published online on Friday 28 December. You can read it at camden.gov.uk/leadermeetings
- We will keep you updated on the progress and will be organising future engagement opportunities with the contractor.
Lift repair work
- Camden requested an expert maintenance inspection of all of the lifts across the estate last year and some work is required to help keep your lifts working effectively. The lift contractor will be carrying out lift repair work across all blocks on Chalcots Estate. This will involve one lift at a time being out of service for a number of hours during the works.
- Work started on Blashford, Taplow and one lift in Bray this week. Work on the other lift at Bray will begin next week. To limit disruption for residents, these maintenance works will be completed between 9.30am and 3pm to avoid busy times. Posters are up in each block to confirm when the work will be completed.
- Ongoing repairs work to the Dorney lift will continue in late January during the same hours. Posters will be displayed closer to the time.
- We would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused and thank you for your patience as work continues.
Local lettings plan drop-in sessions
- We are organising another opportunity for you to talk to the allocations team about the local lettings plan and other housing needs.
- The housing allocations team will be at the next floating support drop-in session on Wednesday 16 January, 1pm to 4.30pm at Dorney TRA Hall, to offer advice on all allocations services available to council tenants including the local lettings plan, downsizing and mutual exchange. The allocations team will be available to discuss your options but will not be able to complete an application with you or confirm the status of an outstanding application. More information on housing options can be found at camden.gov.uk/housingoptions
- If you are already on the housing register, you have until midnight on 28 January 2019 to bid for the first available flats. We have extended the normal bidding period to give all tenants the opportunity to prepare their application.
- If you are not on the housing register and you would like to bid for a property on the Chalcots Estate, you will need to apply and check your eligibility as soon as possible. Please bear in mind that the process to apply or submit a review of your eligibility could take a few weeks to complete. You can apply to be on the housing register at camden.gov.uk/housingapplication
- If you are already on the housing register and have had a change in circumstance, you will need to update your application before you bid, to ensure you have the right amount of points for the bidding process.
- For more support with completing your application, you can discuss the allocations process on 020 7974 4444, option 3 for housing services then option 3 again.
- If you are unable to attend the drop-in sessions, but wish to talk to someone about swapping your home, you can attend the mutual exchange drop-in sessions at:
- Public Café, Pancras Square Library, 5 Pancras Square, N1C 4AG, every Wednesday between 10am and 12pm.
- Queens Crescent Library, 165 Queens Crescent, Belsize Park, London NW5 4HH, every Friday 11am to 1pm.
- You can also attend a digital inclusion session if you need help using computers and the internet to access services, register for housing, use Home Swapper, apply for benefits or search for jobs at:
- Kentish Town Library, 262-266 Kentish Town Road, NW5 2AA, every Tuesday between 2pm and 5pm or every Friday between 10am and 1pm.
- Pancras Square Library, 5 Pancras Square, N1C 4AG every Wednesday between 10am and 1pm.
Flat door quality assurance work
- Your new flat doors have been installed for a year now and as part of the warranty, the council will need to carry out general checks to ensure they are fully operational and fire safe for continued use.
- The work will involve checking your letterbox, seals and other general functions. We expect the work to start on Monday 21 January.
- The work will be carried out by Wates on an appointment basis booked via the RLOs. The contractors will need between 30 minutes to an hour of internal and external access to your front door, dependent on inspection. During these general checks, you will also have the opportunity to talk about any issues you’ve experienced with your doors.
- You will receive a letter from Wates next week with more details and instructions on how to set up an appointment.
- If you have any questions please contact Mike Bennett on 020 7974 1948 or email@example.com or Donna Peters on 020 7974 3889 or firstname.lastname@example.org
The way you pay for water is changing
- If you’re a council tenant, you currently pay your water charges to the council when you pay your rent. The council collects these charges and pays them to Thames Water.
- This is changing because Thames Water now want to collect their own water charges. From April 2019 you will no longer pay the council for your water with your rent and Thames Water will send you a separate bill for water instead. You don’t need to do anything for now but you will get letters nearer the time from Thames Water about how this affects you and how to pay.
- To find out more about these changes visit camden.gov.uk/payforwater or call 020 7974 4444.
There is still time to recycle your real Christmas trees
- You have until Monday 14 January to recycle your tree at your nearest Christmas tree recycling point.
- Your nearest recycling point is on Eton Avenue at the junction with Lancaster Grove, visit camden.gov.uk/christmastree or call 020 3567 8105 to find out more.
New year, new you?
- Why not make swimming a part of your routine for 2019 and take advantage of free swimming sessions at Swiss Cottage Leisure Centre.
- Free swimming is available to all Chalcots residents on Saturdays between 10am and 5pm, and Sundays between 10am and 3pm. Residents will need to bring a proof of address.
The Chalcots Works Group is held at the estate with TRA reps, councillors and council officers in attendance and is chaired by a TRA rep. They meet regularly to discuss works matters on the estate. This newsletter includes feedback from the Chalcots Works Group on Wednesday 19 December. The next meeting will be held on Wednesday 16 January.
You can request a copy of this newsletter in large print, audio format or in another language by calling 020 7974 5717.
If you have questions about this newsletter please contact email@example.com