Have your say on Camden’s Draft Local Plan
Residents, businesses, community groups, and visitors are invited to have their say on Camden’s draft new Local Plan.
The draft new Local Plan sets out Camden Council’s vision for future development in the borough for the next 15 years and includes planning policies and site allocations to help us achieve this.
Since it was published in 2017, Camden’s Local Plan has helped deliver award winning development across the borough, providing vital homes and jobs whilst protecting and enhancing what makes it a special place to live, work and visit.
I’m proud of what it has achieved, and we are updating it to ensure it is fit for the future, so following on from some initial engagement last year we are now publishing a new draft Local Plan which we want to hear your views on.
The new Local Plan sets out an ambitious vision for the borough to ensure Camden is a place where everyone has a chance to succeed and where nobody gets left behind.
It aims to secure thousands of new homes and prioritise the delivery of genuinely affordable homes, and to support Camden’s successful economy, maximising opportunities for local people and businesses to share in its success.
It also aims to enable high quality, inclusive and sustainable development which responds to the climate change emergency and delivers benefits to meet the needs of our diverse communities whilst respecting and enhancing what’s best about Camden.
Changes proposed in the draft new Plan include:
- Continuing to seek to maximise the supply of housing and affordable housing, aiming to deliver 11,550 additional homes over the period to 2041 (equivalent to 770 homes per year).
- Updating policies to respond to the climate and ecological emergency, including on the re-purposing, refurbishment and re-use of buildings; reducing energy use and carbon emissions; and managing flood risk.
- Giving greater emphasis to the need to conserve and enhance the natural environment.
- Proposing a more family-friendly approach to home alterations, in particular roof extensions, to support residents and families to expand and improve their homes to meet their needs.
- Seeking to better enable the retrofitting of heritage assets to mitigate the impacts of climate change.
- Introducing a new approach to the provision of affordable workspace that supports provision where it is particularly needed.
- Emphasising the importance of celebrating and reflecting the diversity of the borough in the design of spaces and places.
We are keen to hear your views on the draft new Local Plan. To find out more and comment on the draft new Local Plan you can visit our Commonplace page or our website and paper copies are also available at all our libraries. You can view the opening times of these online. You can also comment on the draft Plan by emailing [email protected]
We will also be hosting a series of online public engagement sessions, where Council officers will present information about the Plan and respond to any comments or queries:
- Overview of the Local Plan, Housing and Site Allocations - Thursday, 1 February 2024, 7 to 9pm.
- Inclusive Economy, Town Centres, Communities, Infrastructure and Transport - Wednesday, 7 February 2024, 7 to 9pm.
- Climate Change, Environment and Design – Tuesday, 13 February 2024, 7 to 9pm.
All events will be hosted on Microsoft Teams and you can register to attend on our website: Camden Local Plan Consultation (councilsuk.live)
Responses should be submitted by 5pm Wednesday 13 March 2024.
The review of the Local Plan must follow a statutory process. Once we have gathered views on the draft Plan, we will produce an updated version for further consultation later in 2024. We will then submit the Local Plan for a public examination by a Planning Inspector.
If you require any additional information, please contact the Planning Policy Team on [email protected]