Camden Council Leader’s message to residents as London moves to Covid-19 Tier 4
Residents are being asked to follow new Covid-19 restrictions to keep ourselves, our families & communities safe after the Government announced that all of London will move into Tier 4 from tomorrow (Sunday, 20 December).
I know today’s announcement will come as heart-breaking news for many families and individuals around Camden who were hoping to spend time with loved ones this Christmas.
I am disappointed that the government has left it so late to act on the rising cases and that so many residents will now have to cancel plans at the last minute.
Sadly, the restrictions announced today are necessary to stop the deadly spread of Coronavirus in our community. Along with other leaders across London, I am now calling for a comprehensive support package to help businesses and residents impacted by lockdown.
We have reached one of the most dangerous points of the pandemic at one of the most challenging times of the year.
In Camden, we have seen Coronavirus cases double over the last week meaning, on average, more than 550 people are testing positive for the virus each week in our Borough. Across London, an average of 280 people are being admitted to hospital each day. These numbers are extremely worrying and it means we all have to take action to keep ourselves, our families and each other safe.
Along with the rest of London, Camden, is moving into the new Tier 4 from the morning of Sunday 20 December (00:01hrs). That means:
- You must stay at home as far as is possible;
- Non-essential shops, indoor gyms, leisure and entertainment venues and personal care services must close;
- People should not enter or leave Tier 4 areas;
- People should only meet one person from another household in an outdoor public space;
- If you live in a Tier 4 area the national Christmas rules do not apply and you cannot form or join a Christmas bubble
The Council has services in place to protect those who need extra help over the Christmas and winter period, including those who might be isolating and those who are experiencing homelessness.
If you are alone at Christmas or worried about support over the coming days Camden Council and our community partners are here to help with advice, support and care. Contact us if you need to by calling 0207 974 4444 (option 9). We will keep our commitments to our Camden communities that no one will go hungry this winter as a result of Covid and you can contribute to our campaign to tackle food insecurity across London here – www.covidcommunitycampaign.co.uk
Again, it is absolutely vital that we all isolate and get tested if we have symptoms. Tests are available in Camden for anyone who needs one. There are three test sites in Camden and tests available every day – including over the Christmas period. Book your test at www.gov.uk/get-coronavirus-test or you can book through the Council at www.camden.gov.uk/bookatest or by calling 0207 974 444 (option 9)
I would like to thank everyone who is doing their bit and most of all those who are on the frontline working to keep us safe. I know this is hard – but the best thing we can do is follow the rules, keep ourselves, our families and communities safe, and look forward to a better 2021.
Cllr Georgia Gould, Leader of the Council
The Public Health advice, which we all must continue to follow, remains:
- Hands: washing your hands thoroughly
- Space: keeping 2 metres apart from people you don’t live with
- Face: wear a face covering in indoor public spaces, unless you’re exempt
- Get Tested: if you develop symptoms, self-isolate and get tested nhs.uk/coronavirus or by calling 119 (requesting a test takes 5-10 minutes and there are plenty of appointments and test kits available)
If you have any worries about booking a test through the NHS, you can book directly with us at camden.gov.uk/bookatest or by calling us on 020 7974 4444 (option 9). We can help you access other support at the same time.
Test appointments are available every day – including over the festive period.
At present there are three test sites available in Camden:
- Ramsay Hall, Maple Street, W1T 5HB (no step-free access)
- 51 Greenwood Place, NW5 1LB (step-free access)
- Kingsgate Community Centre, NW6 2JH