The latest news and updates from the Chalcots Estate – 6 October 2017
Residents have requested a regular newsletter about works and support available to Chalcots residents. We will be sending you this, as well as letters relating to important information as it arises. We know there is a lot going on and we would like to thank you for your patience throughout this period of works.
Cladding removal and replacement
- We are now building the rising platforms that our contractors will use to remove the cladding from your block. We expect the full cladding removal process to start later this month and hope to have it all removed by December 2017.
- Removing the cladding may mean that the insulation in your home is less effective. We will work to make sure affected residents don’t lose out because of this.
- We have listened to residents’ thoughts on what they consider acceptable working hours and can confirm our contractors will work six days a week. At this point we expect work will take place 8am to 6pm, Monday to Saturday, however we will keep this under review and update you of any changes.
- There will be certain conditions where we may have to suspend cladding removal, for example in particularly strong winds. This is to ensure both resident and contractor safety.
- On Tuesday 31 October, we will be holding an all-day and evening event at Swiss Cottage Library. At the event, we will be able to discuss cladding replacement options with you and listen to your feedback. We will provide more details next week.
- We have started to replace flat front doors on the Chalcots Estate with new fire doors that offer one hour of fire resistance. We aim to have installed all doors by the end of the year. Your resident liaison officer will contact you to arrange an appointment to fit your door.
- It is standard practice and a legal requirement to check for the presence of asbestos when starting works that could disturb the structure of a building. The fitting of the new front doors will require the replacement of the doorframe, removing the doorframe means we will perform these checks as a precaution.
- We are installing additional smoke alarms and heat sensors in all flats, these are linked wirelessly and come with long-life batteries. The London Fire Brigade has recommended that all buildings with the type of cladding in place at the Chalcots should have these alarms fitted whilst the cladding remains. Please contact your Resident Liaison Officer to organise a convenient appointment to have your alarms fitted. You can find contact details for your Resident Liaison Officer below:
Taplow and Bray – Hayley Townsend - 07702 970354
Burnham and Blashford – Angela Carr - 07590 170332
Dorney – Sue Speller - 07939 158509
- We are undertaking an independent review of the evacuation of the Chalcots Estate and the events leading up to it. We are currently in the process of appointing an independent chair to help conduct the review. The Leader of the Council will be sending you a separate letter about this next week.
- In order to build the rising platforms to remove the cladding from your block we have had to clear the underground carparks. We must do this to ensure the safety of your vehicles from any damage, as well as the structural integrity of the mast climbers. Arrangements have been made for affected residents to park in controlled parking zone CA-B. Residents will be updated throughout the carpark closure and where possible they will be able to return to the underground carparks. If it is not possible to return, residents will be given permits to park on street for the duration of the works. Anyone who would like further information can call 020 7974 8521.
- Tuesday marks World Mental Health Day 2017. If you or your neighbour feels stressed or anxious there are a number of services that are able to help, find out more at camden.gov.uk/chalcotsresidentsupport or see the leaflet enclosed with this letter.
- Following discussions with residents, we have extended the deadline for new reimbursement claims. The deadline is now Sunday 15 October. Please submit any new claims along with receipts to email@example.com. We will also be holding a drop-in session at Burnham TRA room to help you complete your claim from 4pm to 7pm on Tuesday 10 October.