Summer University offers creativity, learning and fun
Camden Summer University offers young people aged 13 to 19 fantastic free courses hosted by some of London’s biggest names.
Where else can you study drama at RADA, drawing at Central Saint Martins or have the films you make screened at the British Museum, all for free?
Camden Summer University offers you all this on your doorstep.What’s more, many of the courses are accredited, which means that as well as having a blast you’ll have something to put on your CV when applying for work or university.
Courses, which run from 25 July to 26 August, fill up fast, so visit camden.gov.uk/summeruniversity now to see which you might want to sign up for before bookings go live on 15 June.There are more than 70 courses on offer. Highlights include:
- A six-day hip hop dance course at the Wellcome Collection, led by a professional choreographer and dancer from ZooNation Dance Company.
- Several drama courses, including a week at the world-famous Royal Academy of Dramatic Art.
- Explore video graphics or make a thought-provoking documentary film on a topical issue. Your work will be screened at the British Museum.
- Drawing and painting, including portraiture with a life model, at Central Saint Martins arts college.
- Jewellery design and an intensive fashion class led by a professional pattern cutter and designer.
- Caribbean cookery, cake baking, nutrition and kitchen skills.
- Stop-motion animation, music production and journalism.
- Motorcycling and mechanics.
- Sports sessions run by professional coaches.
- Young women’s self-defence classes.
Esther Joy Boadu, Camden Youth MP, said: “There is no reason for you to be bored this summer. Camden Summer University puts on all these activities for you to take part in, meet new people and enjoy yourselves. The best thing is that courses are free.”
“Camden offers one of the country’s best summer youth programmes and I hope as many young people as possible will take advantage of the fantastic free courses on offer.”
Camden Summer University is run by the Council’s youth service with a range of local partners and experienced tutors, some of whom are national leaders in their field.
To view or book courses, visit the website at camden.gov.uk/summeruniversity or call 020 7619 3903.