Kilburn Past - An Illustrated Historical Talk
Tuesday 1 March 2016 at 7.15pm (Doors open at 6.45pm). Entrance free.
Camden Local Studies & Archives Centre. Second Floor, Holborn Library, 32-38 Theobalds Road, London WC1X 8PA.
Historians Dick Weindling and Marianne Colloms will use slides to take a virtual tour through Kilburn, walking up the High Road.
People and places visited will include:
- Kilburn Priory, which was the oldest known building in the area.
- The Kilburn windmill.
- Annie Besant, a pioneer for women’s rights who organised the match girl’s strike.
- ‘Kilburn Aerodrome’ where aircraft were built during WWI.
- Thunderbirds creator Gerry Anderson who lived with his family in one room in West End Lane.
- Sean Connery who had a small house off Priory Road when he was offered the part of James Bond in Dr. No.