Be proud to be a quitter
Wednesday 11 March is National No Smoking Day. Why not take the opportunity to quit and make a lifelong change you can be proud of?
Smoking is the main cause of illness and preventable death in the UK, killing around 450 people a year in Camden alone. What’s more, the average smoker spends around £1,500 a year on cigarettes.
Nearly one in five adults in Camden smoke, but studies show that around two-thirds of smokers want to give up.
Quitting can be hard, but with support from our team of stop smoking specialists, you’re four times more likely to quit for good.
Smokefreelife Camden manager, Donna Harrison said: “Stopping smoking is something to be proud of but the reason quitting is so hard is an addiction to nicotine. If smokers are deprived of nicotine, they get withdrawal symptoms. Luckily, there is help. We provide nicotine replacement therapy which works very well.
“We can usually see people very quickly for an assessment. We’ll discuss coping strategies and then we encourage them to set a quit date.
“Some people find stopping smoking can be quite isolating. Often they don’t tell anyone just in case they fail, so they do it all alone. Talking about any problems you might be facing works really well.”
Meet our stop smoking specialists – and start your smoke-free future
Over the next few days we’ll be out and about at a series of locations across the borough – pop along to find out more about the support available to help you quit:
Monday 9 March
- Working Men’s College, 44 Crowndale Road, NW1 1TR, 10am – 2pm
Tuesday 10 March
- St Pancras Hospital (outside Gate House), 4 St Pancras Way, London, NW1 0PE, 10am – 3pm
- Morrisons, Chalk Farm Road, London, NW1 8AA, 11am – 3pm
Wednesday 11 March – National No Smoking Day
- UCLH (main atrium), 235 Euston Road, London, NW1 2BU, 10.30am – 1.30pm
- Kentish Town Road (health van), NW1 9PY, 9.30am – 1pm
- Kilburn High Road (health van), 2pm – 5pm
Thursday 12 March
- Queens Crescent Market, Queen’s Crescent, London, NW5 3QH, 9am – 3pm
Friday 13 March
- Charlton Street (health van), King’s Cross, Camden, NW1 1HY, 9am – 3pm
Find out more